Thousands of Aussies are coming together this weekend for the annual Garage Sale Trail and your best chance for earning or saving an extra buck is by tapping into your neighbourhood. Nextdoor connects you with real, verified residents of the neighbourhoods around you and it’s completely free to use, making it a great way to promote your sale or find a local bargain.
If you can’t host a physical sale in your neighbourhood due to Covid-19 restrictions, or you just have a few items to sell, you can post them in Nextdoor’s For Sale and Free section. It’s also the perfect place to post any items that you didn’t sell at your garage sale.
Here’s a quick lesson on how to sell an item in the For Sale and Free section:
- Download the Nextdoor app in the iOS app store or Google Play store. Don’t have a smartphone? Just go to nextdoor.com.au
- Click inside the “Post a message, event, poll, or alert to neighbours” box at the top of your Newsfeed
- Select the For Sale and Free category
- Choose a category for the item your selling
- Add at least one photo. Items are much more likely to sell if it has a good photo.
- Add a title. We recommend using the name of the item. You don’t need to say anything else.
- Describe your item, providing details like size, colour, and condition.
- Set a price for your item, or mark it as free. If you aren’t sure about the price, you can leave it blank.
- Click Post.
Check out our Community Guidelines and please, treat each other with respect when buying and selling.
Here are some simple tips:
- Follow through. After you’ve made arrangements for pickup or delivery of an item, show up or be available at the agreed upon time!
- Sell as advertised. Make sure that your listing accurately reflects the condition of the item and the price at which you want to sell it. Don’t surprise buyers by increasing the price, or not offering the item as advertised in your listing.
- Don’t profit from the generosity of your neighbours. There are many generous neighbours on Nextdoor offering their items for free. Taking advantage of that generosity by selling an item you received for free is considered a breach of trust.
Good luck swapping, selling, and building new neighbourly connections this Garage Sale Trail. We’re thrilled to help you earn some money, recycle, and hopefully, get to know more of your neighbours.